Friday, May 31, 2013

April 9, 2013 Letter from Sister Lynda Dyer

Dear Family of Elder Stevenson,

I often think as I look out over the missionaries, "I wish their parents could see through my eyes, what I am able to see."  Since that is not possible, I would like to try to describe a little of what I saw and experienced this last Sunday morning before the first session of Conference.

The President and I have the responsibility of serving breakfast on Sunday mornings when we are not fasting.  That allows our kitchen staff to attend their wards.  The meal is simple:  cold cereal, rolls, and fruit.  When we arrived at the kitchen however, we found that it was not as clean as it should have been.  Tables needed to be wiped off, trays and silverware needed to be cleaned.  Without any requests on our part, a group of Elders appeared offering to help.  I was trying to rinse off trays and one Elder said I'm an expert at that, that is what I have been doing for two years at Cafe Rio.  He quickly took over and started directing others in the project of washing and drying.  Others were out front wiping off tables and sweeping the floors.  After everyone was finished eating, they were back to repeat the process of washing, drying, sweeping, and wiping off.  I'm not sure the kitchen has ever been so clean!

The thing that touch the hearts of the President and myself the most was the fact that they had come all on their own, with a genuine desire to serve.  No one had to ask them for help. Then to make the experience even more sweet, they were joyfully singing hymns and Primary songs as they worked.  As they sang "We are as the Army of Helaman" we knew truer words had never been spoken or sung!  

Elder Stevenson was a part of that heavenly army.  We love him!  Thank you for entrusting him to us for this short period of time.  We sent him off early, early this morning for Cali.  He was excited and ready to go.  He is going to be a great missionary!  He went out tracting the other day and had amazing success.  We know that was just a sample of what is yet to come for him!  You have a wonderful son!

Love,
Sister Lynda Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment